The DC Events Calendar Has Moved

The DC Events Calendar Has Moved
click to see what's happening

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Morning Walk

After a stop at Chinatown Coffee Company this morning (which was TOTALLY empty ... holiday weekend, I guess), we walked to Union Station and back, and this SunTrust Bank building really caught my eye.
The façade appears to be made of a very corrosion-prone sandstone, because it is quite literally wearing away.  You can't see the backside very well from this angle, but it doesn't connect to anything.  I suspect when they built the very modern building behind it they wanted to maximize ground-level window space, so they left the buildings unconnected.  The SunTrust building itself is almost all windows, which makes it very appealing.

We also saw this guy for the first time.
 The Victims of Communism Memorial at the intersections of New Jersey Avenue, Massachusetts Avenue, and G Street NW.  Who knew this thing existed?  We've got a memorial for everything here.  From the website of the memorial foundation, which touts a Glenn Beck [spit] documentary, I don't think this is a non-partisan affair.  To me, having lived through the 80's, this organization seems a bit quaint for its objective of keeping alive the fight against communism.

Here's my chance to play off a quote of Ferris Bueller, quoting John Lennon:

"Not that I condone [commun]ism, or any -ism for that matter. -Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, 'I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me.' Good point there. After all, he was the walrus. I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people. "

No comments:

Post a Comment